by Fernando Cumbane
A few weeks back we had our first short-duration course which had as general objective to improve the technical and practical knowledge of the Mozambican ROs in food safety and water resources management.
The completion of this course allowed (i) development of teaching manuals (for higher level) in the areas of water resource management and food security, (ii) development of course material for a manual for the Center Region for the resource sector (iii) improve the capacity of higher education teachers in the area of food security and water resources. The training approach was highly interactive and was based on the experiences and cases of participants. The training included presentations in plenary sessions, active discussions in group work, practicing analytical tools and a dialogue on the implications for the participants’ work.
Herco and Jan were the lecturers in this course.
In the period from 07/30/2018 to 08/01/2018 the course was held at the Faculdade de Ciências Agrarias (FCA) in Angónia, covering the following topics:
- Qualitative assessment of water resources and water uses in the Zambezi area;
- Identification of stakeholders, common interests and conflicting interests in the Zambezi Valley area;
- The current proposed plans of the DNGRH, ADVZ and INIR with an impact on the Zambezi River Valley have been briefly presented;
- Current models of agrarian development were presented and discussed, where the advantages and disadvantages of peasants were elaborated;
- Current paradigms in flood management indicating entry points and critical points in the Zambezi Valley area were presented and discussed;
- Lecture on irrigation systems in Tsangano district, speaker Orlando Portasio Festa (Director of Tsangano SDAE);
The course took place at FCA.
On August 2, it was reserved exclusively for field work where the irrigation system of Tsangano was visited, the visit resulted in the following aspects:
- Interview with Mr. Carneiro (major producer of Tsangano), which produces garlic, carrots, grapes, apples and among other crops. It should be noted that Mr. Carneiro manufactures home-made wine with grapes removed from its plantation as raw material;
- Interview with Mrs. Teresa responsible for irrigation channel in Tsangano, on her farm there are 3 water dams where she reserves water for irrigation; this produces potatoes, corn, beans, peanuts and other crops;
- One of the major problems in the Tsangano irrigation system is the distance separating the water harvesting points for the irrigation channels and the irrigation points which are too distant, so there is a lot of water wastage during transport, the technique that is used to transport water to irrigation points leads to the issue of integrated management of water resources, besides which transport system is made in uncoated channels, which causes problems of soil erosion;
Visit to Tsangano irrigation system. Notice the erosion issues.
On the 3rd of August the last day of the training was characterized by the following aspects:
- Elaboration of the action plans of each educational institution that participated in the course;
- Each participant presented the lessons learned with what they found most important in the course, Information obtained during the course, personal experiences regarding successful and unsuccessful interventions in agricultural water management;
- Each participant completed an anonymous evaluation questionnaire about the course. Finally, there was a small ceremony with the delivery of the certificates of participation and the closing of the course.
On 04/08/2018, after the end of the training the trainees returned home.
- Elaboration of a term of reference to make a connection between a irrigation system and IES that concretely tells what the school will do in irrigation in term of technical assistance that can guarantee the improvement of its efficiency;
- Assemble a mission in all IES`s together with the delegations of the agency to visit all the irrigations within a radius of no more than 200 km;
- Consideration should be given to the creation of a quality control package in the project to analyze the question of the quality of consulting by IES`s;